Sustainability in Catering.
At Devour It Catering we take sustainability seriously and we have developed a number of processes that ensure we act in a responsible manner when preparing your catering. A key component of these process is the use of plastics made with microbial food additive which is included during manufacture. When the product is disposed of to a landfill the bacteria that are present in the landfill consume the plastic leaving no harm residue, just humus the organic material that makes up soil. This greatly assist in eliminating the impact of one use plastics.
We have also document best practice Food Preparation tasks that we educate our employees on –
- Always be reviewing food preparation procedures for water saving opportunities, i.e. dry peel potatoes instead of wet peeling
- Wash produce in a bowl rather than under running water
- Always ensure taps are properly switched off after use,
- Ensure food and utensils are not washed under running water
- Ask staff to report leaking washers or taps
- During preparation, scrape dishes and soak before placing in the dishwasher resulting in a shorter cycle at lower temperature with less detergents are required
- Use the economy setting on the dishwasher
- Never use the dishwasher unless fully loaded
- Sweep or wipe up floor/benches rather than using a hose tap
- Keep equipment well maintained and working efficiently
- Always turn lights off in freezers and cool-rooms
- Keep freezer and cool room doors closed
When ordering supplies for our customers, we acknowledge the choices we make about the food, equipment, transport and materials used can have a big impact on environmental and social sustainability.
At functions, the use and disposal of plastic plates, cutlery, cups and excess food, can be a substantial source of waste and have a big impact on our environment. For this reason, we believe it’s important to take some simple steps to make our food catering services more sustainable.
We have sourced packaging options that have a minimal impact on the environment, while still delivering your food in a safe and hygienic manner. We use biodegradable cling wrap plastic, bin liners, clip seal bags, soup bowls, plates, cutlery and napkins. We are delivering sandwiches on recyclable trays, and recycling our produce boxes that we receive from our suppliers.
Sustainability is everyone’s job.
Why should we care about sustainability? Because it’s the right thing to do. Not just for us, but also for our customers and society as a whole. At Devour It Catering, we’re committed to making the world a cleaner and more sustainable place to live, work and socialise.
We need to be part of the solution and one way of achieving this is by working with our suppliers and employees to increase sustainability practices for all catered functions and events.
For more information on Devour It catering sustainability practices please contact us.